Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Sick

These days, I'm wondering what happened to the fantastic immune system I have developed teaching children for over 20 years. I used to never get sick. This year, I've gotten every single bug that someone in my class has had. This past weekend was particularly horrible.

It started off with that mild little tickle in my throat last Wednesday that signals more fun to come. By Thursday, I had a raging headache, a painful sore throat, and a very bad attitude. I just kept popping Advil and praying for the best. By Friday night I was in agony. I tried to remember when I had eaten the gallon of broken glass shards that had obviously shredded my poor throat. Gargling salt water, overdosing on Advil, and drinking buckets full of hot lemon tea did nothing to allay my misery. (Is that the right use of the word allay?)

On Saturday I missed a close friend's baby shower and Kevin's company holiday party (yes, they party in January because they are too freakin' busy in December to see straight). But Kevin took the kids, so I had a peaceful Saturday night laying on the couch in agony. At this point, the couch had become my permanent home as I was snoring so loudly at night, I was keeping the boys (Kevin and Kristian) up. I didn't particularly sleep well, because whilst laying in the dark living room trying to breathe, my mind kept flashing back to the movie we saw for my birthday, I Am Legend, and I was sure I could hear the faint hyperventilating of the infected dark seekers hiding behind the bar, or the computer chair. I finally got up and turned on the light in the kitchen to soothe my fears.

Sunday came. Still sick.

Monday. No school. Thank you MLK. Still sick. Praying for death at this point.

Tuesday. My day off. Still sick!!!! But beginning to feel the ability to swallow solid food again. Tuesday night....still on the couch, but able to breathe now and not waking myself up with snoring. I think I'm going to live.

Wednesday. Today. Still alive. Can swallow. But now my voice is disappearing. Good luck teaching 3 year olds with no voice....

3 comments:

My2Blessings said...

Hi Sis! So sorry to hear you've been so sick. Glad to know you're feeling a bit better by now.

(((BIG HUGS)))

Love ya,

Deb

giselle said...

glad to find another preschool teacher here. um, hazards of the trade?! :) hope you're feeling better.

william2233 said...

Nice site, from a children author